‘Tis the season for warm, cozy drinks by the fire with friends and family and nothing is cozier than hot chocolate. This hot chocolate is a great reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the season – running around for last minute gifts, endless parties, sending cards and connecting with family. It is an act of indulgence to keep energy levels high and stress levels down and it also offers amazing health benefits.
- One of the best sources of magnesium found in food; lowers blood pressure, relaxes smooth and skeletal muscles and can help to relieve headaches
- High in calcium, zinc, iron and potassium
- Powerful antioxidant
- Source of anandamides, the bliss chemical associated with improving motivation and increasing pleasure
- Low glycemic sweetener
Maca Root Powder
- An “adaptogen” – it has the ability to balance and stabilize the body’s hormonal, nervous and cardiovascular systems, and helps one adapt to stress
- Improves libido
- Increases stamina and combats fatigue
- Stabilizes mood and energy
- Improves digestion
- Aids insulin in metabolizing blood sugar
- Enhances cognitive function and memory
Superfood Hot Chocolate (serves 1)
1 ½ cups non-dairy milk (almond, coconut, rice, etc) or water
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1-2 tsp maca root powder
Small sprinkle of Celtic or Himalayan sea salt
Dash of cinnamon
Optional: dash of ginger or cayenne pepper
- Warm non-dairy milk in a saucepan on the stove or boil water.
- Whisk dry ingredients into the warmed milk and enjoy!
Dr. Jen Newell is passionate about helping people embrace health, feel amazing and easily incorporate “real” food into their busy lives. Her mission is to make health accessible and achievable, and to inspire patients to live an active, vibrant and healthy life.
Jen has a clinical focus on digestive health, food sensitivities and healthy nutrition; mental health and stress-related illness; women’s health, hormone balance and fertility; optimal aging; and dermatology. She focuses on integrating healthy foods into one’s diet in a medicinal and therapeutic capacity and providing individuals with nutritional support that is easy to incorporate into a busy day.