By Aly Shoom, Nutritionist
It’s a sure sign of the cooler weather when your favorite coffee shop starts serving pumpkin spice lattes (PSL’s). Unfortunately, although pumpkin can be healthy, these lattes are far from it! Starbuck’s PSL doesn’t actually contain any real pumpkin and is loaded with sugar – made of sugar, condensed milk, sweet condensed nonfat milk, coloring, artificial flavors, and a few other ingredients.
There’s still hope! It’s easy to make your own PSL filled with wholesome ingredients with loads of health benefits.
Pumpkins are full of wonderful nutrients. They contain antioxidants, carotenoids, vitamin C, and gut-friendly fiber. Pumpkin spice is made up of a few different spices, each with their own nutritional benefits. One of these spices is cinnamon, which has the ability to help regulate your blood sugar levels. Ginger is another spice in the mix. Ginger is anti-inflammatory and is great for indigestion and nausea.
How to make your own (healthy) PSL:
- 1/2 cup brewed Coffee or 2 espresso shots
- 2 Tbs Pureed Pumpkin
- 1.5 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Almond or coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a small pot over medium heat, stir the pumpkin puree, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice until combined. Slowly whisk in milk of choice. Bring mixture to a low simmer, stirring occasionally and remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Transfer milk mixture to a blender. Add in brewed coffee and pulse several times until foamy and frothy.
Let’s see if we will make a great team? Book your free 15- minute consultation here. Bring your questions and concerns and see if she?s the right match for you!
Aly is a Certified Nutrition Practitioner (CNP) who specializes in weight loss. Aly graduated top of her class from the Institute of Holistic Nutrition and holds a BA from Western University. Aly’s warm and approachable demeanor empowers her clients to take control of their health. Aly believes that eating healthy isn’t about being perfect, it’s about having a plan you can stick to that gives you energy while allowing you to eat the foods you love. Aly believes that with the right tools and guidance you can make positive lifestyle changes to enjoy a happier and healthier life!