Many of my patients come to see me looking to restore their skin to health and to treat specific concerns including acne, scars, wrinkles and dark spots. What I have recently been thinking about is what Naturopathic medicine and holistic skincare can do to prevent these concerns and to actually slow signs of aging rather then just trying to correct them. A new term coined by the cosmetic aesthetics industry for this course of action is “prejuvenation”.
What is Prejuvenation?
Prejuvenation is the application of advanced training and techniques to prevent the signs of aging and the development of skin concerns from occurring. It is best to take a multiphase and customized approach to prejuvenation to maximize results.
How Naturopathic Medicine can prevent the signs of aging
To create a customized plan a thorough analysis of your age, lifestyle, skin concerns, medical history, family history, diet and aesthetic goals is critical. Based on your responses, goals and history an individualized plan is designed which may include:
- Home skincare recommendations – Creating a daily regimen consisting of the right products for your skin and your goals helps to keep the complexion firm, smooth, hydrated, clear and youthful.
- Professional therapeutic skincare treatments – Regular professional skincare treatments help to maintain a healthy, youthful appearance. Some of the treatments I recommend and perform on patients are:
- Collagen induction therapy/microneedling
- Oxygeneo 3-in-1 facial
- Therapeutic facials with customized serums
- Gentle peels
- Facial rejuvenation acupuncture
- Nutricosmetic supplements – Nutricosmetics are nutritional supplements, which support the structure, function, and health of the skin. Targeted supplements are recommended on an individual basis to optimize results.
- Lifestyle and dietary recommendations – I work collaboratively with my patients to develop a lifestyle regime that they can easily and successful integrate into their daily life. These strategies will help slow down the aging process and promote overall health and wellbeing.
Why Prejuvenation is important
I have seen more and more patients interested in not just treating the signs of aging and turning back the clock but also preventing those signs from even developing. With our current urban lifestyles here in Toronto, prejuvenation is important to prevent the signs of stress – physical, emotional and environmental – and it’s impact on our appearance over time. Naturopathic medicine excels at preventative care and offers a unique approach to anti-aging and aesthetic medicine from a holistic perspective.
Dr. Jen Newell, ND is the founder of the Naturopathic Skin Care Clinic at the Integrative Health Institute. She is committed to helping others resolve frustrating skin issues because she struggled with hormonal cystic acne and mild rosacea for over 10 years. Dissatisfied with the results from oral contraceptives, antibiotics and other conventional treatments, Jen decided to take matters in her own hands and find a safer and more sustainable solution to achieve healthy, glowing skin. She is now a leader in her field and a pioneer for a holistic approach to skin care.
Dr. Newell has extensive experience in skin, hormonal and digestive health. She understands how the health of these systems is often integrated and the impact these issues can have on quality of life. She is passionate about helping people look and feel their best by combining her knowledge and expertise to develop customized and comprehensive plans for optimal health.
Dr. Jen Newell is a graduate of the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine and the University of Ottawa. She is a member of the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors, the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors and International Association of Corneotherapy. Jen has additional certification in Collagen Induction Therapy/Microneedling, Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture, and Culinary Nutrition.