Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies
GLUTEN-FREE GINGERBREAD COOKIES
This recipe was sent to us by Victoria Yeh, author of Where Do I Start? Your Essential Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Sugar-Free Food Allergy Cookbook and owner of Gluten-Free Toronto. Victoria has been helping our clients get off to a great start with their food sensitivity elimination since 2008. Her cookbook is available for sale at the clinic.
- 2-1/2 cups Brown rice flour
- 1 cup Tapioca starch
- 2 tsp Ginger, ground
- 2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 tsp Dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp Cloves, ground
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Molasses
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in molasses, egg, vanilla and maple syrup.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, beating well. Dough should be tacky but not overly sticky. If dough seems too moist and sticky, you may add up to 1/2 cup (125ml) more tapioca starch to achieve desired texture.
- Form dough into balls, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare clean counter by covering with a sheet of wax paper. Unwrap chilled dough and place over wax paper. Flatten dough with the palm of your hand to 1 inch thickness. (You may lightly oil your hands to keep dough from sticking).
- Place a second sheet of wax paper over the flattened dough. Use a rolling pin to roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness throughout.
- Gently peel away top sheet of wax paper. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters. If dough becomes too sticky or soft to handle, return to refrigerator for 10-20 minutes before continuing.
- Transfer cookies to baking sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes until edges begin to darken.
Please show your support!
Victoria has been nominated for two Natural Health awards as an author and a motivator/educator. Please show your support for this local author and health advocate by casting your vote online. It’s easy and should take less than 5 minutes!
1. Go to http://awards.naturalhealthcare.ca/
2. Click on “create account” (you’ll be emailed a password; your info & nomination is anonymous).
3. Please select the category “Health and Wellness Motivator / Educator” & “Health & Wellness Author” and click “vote” for Victoria Yeh
Thank you for your support!
About Victoria Yeh, Author
Victoria Yeh is Toronto based public speaker, consultant and author of Where Do I Start? Your Essential Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Sugar-Free Food Allergy Cookbook and owner of Gluten-Free Toronto. For over eleven years, she has lived with multiple food intolerances to wheat, gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, corn and yeast. With the launch of her book, video series and personal Skype cooking lessons, Victoria is setting out to help educate others on how to adapt to their specific dietary needs and achieve greater health. Her book and lessons can be purchased directly from www.glutenfreeliving.ca.
Victoria’s book, Where Do I Start? Your Essential Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Sugar-Free Food Allergy Cookbook is available at the Integrative Health Institute in Downtown Toronto at the corner of King and Sherbourne.
Image: jenny downing via Compfight
Leave a Reply