Carrot Orange Soup is a fresh and creamy soup that will warm you up on a chilly day. This soup is made with coconut milk which gives it a silky texture without any dairy. It also contains tangy orange juice and warming ginger. It makes a perfect pack and go lunch that is delicious cold or at room temperature.
Carrots are a great ingredient to add to any meal because they are one of the riches sources of pro-vitamin A carotenoids (alpha- and beta-carotene which convert into vitamin A). As you probably already know, vitamin A is great for your vision and helps boots your immune system. It is also an antioxidant which can help protect you against cardiovascular disease. Carrots are rich in fiber and low in calories, so you can munch away on them guilt free.
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 40-55 min | Serving size: 4
– 2 Tablespoon coconut oil
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
– 1.5 cups orange juice (roughly 3 oranges)
– 1.5 cups coconut milk (1 can)
– 3 cups vegetable stock
– 2 teaspoons finely minced ginger
– Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook stirring occasionally for 5 min. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 5 min or until onions are soft and brown.
- Add carrots, coconut milk, orange juice and vegetable stock.
- Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very soft, roughly 30 to 45 min.
- Add the ginger and puree with an immersion blender or transfer in to a food processor and puree until smooth in batches.
- Return the puree to the pot, season with salt and pepper and heat until hot. If the soup is too thick, add additional stock.
Jesse Lane Schelew, BSc, CNP is a cheerful Holistic Nutritionist, motivating speaker, cookbook author and wellness writer. She is the founder of JesseLaneWellness.com, a web based holistic nutrition practice and holistic recipe resource. Jesse Lane is also the resident Holistic Nutritionist at Yellow Gazebo Clinic in Toronto, Ontario. Jesse Lane is passionate about nutrition helps positive and vibrant individuals unlock the incredible healing power of food and reclaim their health. She is a co-author of The Holistic In the City 21 Day Smoothie Guide and has contributed to recipes to KrisCarr.com, MindBodyGreen.com and Get Naked in the Kitchen: Healthy Recipes That Are Proud To Bare It All.