If you are like most, January flies in with a wave of fatigue. The holidays are fun but they are full of excess sugars, booze and late nights. Let’s get you back and running early in the year by starting with what you are putting in your body. Level up and design your plan with the following guide.
Structure your Macros.
Start with breakfast and lunch. Choose power proteins and clean fats as your first bite of the day. Eating carbs early in the day, encourages carb cravings later in the day. Eating proteins and fats early for breakfast can help curb those ongoing carb cravings. If you have a hard time winding down in the evening, save your carbs for dinner meals.
- Choose free range meat products and grass-fed butter
- Choose wild fish
- Choose organic or pesticide free produce
- Keep soy produces/tofu to a minimum unless you are of menopausal years.
- Choose low glycemic vegetables such as broccoli, zucchini and asparagus.
Track your Habits.
- Create benchmarks to measure your success.
- Maintain or begin an exercise protocol to encourage muscle development and endorphin release.
- Curb sugar and salt cravings with extra proteins and fats.
- Schedule your feeding times.
- Drink a minimum of 2L of water per day.
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep for optimum recovery and mental performance.
Within 30 days your energy should elevate and you might even shed a few unwanted pounds.
- Not every dietary change is for everyone. If you have questions about what you are eating and how to improve your energy I will help you design a diet that will set you up for success.
Dr. Jennifer Tanner, has a broad, evidence-based practice with a focus on sports and performance-based medicine. Being a marathon runner and having been a competitive equestrian, an active lifestyle is important. Dr. Tanner uses a variety of tools including Acupuncture and Clinical Nutrition, putting an emphasis on “food as medicine” and addressing the root causes of inflammation. In conjunction with the Integrative Health team, Dr. Tanner is thrilled to help people achieve an optimal state of health and pursue their performance based health goals!
Follow Dr. Tanner @DrJenniferTannerND